Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Story to tell.
Submitted by Angela Hickey

Hi to one and all at ASITS, at Terenure Enterprise Centre.
This is my first time trying to use the Blog so bear with me please.

Sunday the 13th July, I was up very early, and was delighted to see the SUN SHINE!!
Thankfully it wasn’t Friday the 13th as I was leading a walk for my walking club in Dalkey and Killiney Co, Dublin.

As this was my first time to lead a walk for my club since my illness three years ago, I was really looking forward to a nice walk, in an area I love to walk in.

When I arrived at the starting point at Glasthule Dart Station, I was pleased to see that 14 club members were there to join me in the walk.

We set off up the Mettles(by the side of the rail/dart line) and continued up the Atmospheric rail path and up to Dalkey Quarry, the views from here out over Dunlaoire Harbour and beyond were just fantastic, we could have been anywhere on the Continent, but no we were in our own little land, and it was pure magic. We did about four hours walking around the area, taking in the old miners cottages on the way up to the quarry, where the stone miners lived years ago, when working the quarry and sending the stone down on trams to Dunlaoire for the building of Dunlaoire pier.

We had a very enjoyable walk and the SUN STAYED OUT FOR US,!

Yes I know we don’t use capitols for the above, but it is not often this summer that the sun came out and stayed out for the day.!!!

Anyone interested locally in joining me for the odd walk in the area here, when the day/evening is dry.?

It’s a great pastime, costs nothing and a healthy way of filling in a few hours, while gettint to know more about our neighbourhood?.

Cheers from Angela Hickey.

1 comment:

groucho said...

I know how you feel!!!